THE Bureau of Customs said Thursday there was “competent and convincing” evidence to prove a conspiracy among the nine people for the illegal importation of P6.4-billion shabu seized in Valenzuela last year.
The agency has filed criminal charges for the importation of the illegal drugs against businessman Dong Yi Shen alias “Kenneth Dong,” customs broker Mark Ruben Taguba II, Chinese businessman Chen Ju Long alias “Richard Tan” or “Richard Chen, and five other people in connection with the shipment of about P6.4 billion worth of shabu from China in May 2017.
‘‘The respondents clearly conspired to import the illegal drugs, and that the criminal cases should be brought to trial,” Customs said in an 18-page memorandum filed with the Department of Justice.
The agency on Thursday also prodded the Department of Justice to indict the respondents in the case.
Customs’ memo says the respondents may be held liable as co-conspirators, financiers, facilitators and or principals either by direct participation, indispensable cooperation and or inducement.
The agency said the conspiracy was planned in utmost secrecy that it could not be proved by direct evidence. As a result, competent and convincing circumstantial evidence would suffice to establish the conspiracy.
Also charged were Eirene May Tatad, owner of EMT Trading, the consignee of the drug shipment, Taiwanese nationals Chen Min and Jhu Ming Jyun, warehouse caretaker Fidel Anoche Dee, Marcellana Li and unidentified individuals whom Customs believed to have been involved in the shabu shipment.
Customs said importation of the shabu was done with the use of fraudulent documents and declared the shipment as cutting boards, footwear, kitchenware and molds.