SEOUL―North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan and into the Pacific Friday, responding to the new UN sanctions with its farthest-ever missile flight in what analysts called a demonstration of its ability to target Guam.
The launch, from near Pyongyang, came after the United Nations Security Council imposed an eighth set of measures on the isolated country following its sixth nuclear test earlier this month.
The blast was by far its largest to date and Pyongyang said it was a hydrogen bomb small enough to fit onto a missile.
The Philippines condemned the latest launch.
“That is a very dangerous act by the North Koreans,” Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told reporters in Manila.
“First, they keep sending those missiles up without any reason except to scare us here, the neighboring countries.
“Even the President [Rodrigo Duterte] is very much concerned about these missiles from North Korea. We fear them. [It’s] very concerning.”.
In New York, the Security Council called an emergency meeting for later Friday.
The US Pacific Command confirmed Friday’s rocket was an intermediate range ballistic missile and said it did not pose a threat to North America or to the US Pacific territory of Guam, which Pyongyang has threatened to bracket with “enveloping fire”.
Seoul’s defense ministry said it probably traveled around 3,700 kilometers and reached a maximum altitude of 770 kilometers.
It was “the farthest overground any of their ballistic missiles has ever traveled,” Joseph Dempsey of the International Institute for Strategic Studies said on Twitter.
Physicist David Wright, of the Union of Concerned Scientists, added: “North Korea demonstrated that it could reach Guam with this missile, although the payload the missile was carrying is not known” and its accuracy was in doubt.
The North has raised global tensions with its rapid progress in weapons technology under leader Kim Jong-Un, who is closely associated with the program and regularly pictured by state media overseeing launches and visiting facilities.
The North’s last missile launch, a Hwasong-12 IRBM just over two weeks ago, also overflew Japan’s main islands and was the first to do so for years.
But when Pyongyang tested two intercontinental ballistic missiles in July that appeared to bring much of the US mainland into range, it fired them on lofted trajectories that avoided passing over the archipelago nation.
“The North is sending a message which is, ‘we are not cowering before any sanctions and our warnings are not empty threats’,” Yang Moo-Jin of the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul told AFP Millions of Japanese were jolted awake by blaring sirens and emergency text message alerts.
“Missile launch! missile launch! A missile appears to have been launched from North Korea,” loudspeakers blared on Cape Erimo, on Hokkaido’s southern tip.
Breakfast television programs replaced their usual light-hearted diet of children’s shows and gadget features with the warning: “Flee into a building or a basement.”
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Tokyo could “never tolerate” what he called a “dangerous provocative action that threatens world peace”.
“If North Korea continues to walk down this path, it has no bright future,” he told reporters. “We must make North Korea understand this.”
The missile was said to have overflown the US ally for around two minutes, but there were no immediate indications of objects falling onto Japanese territory.
US Defense Secretary James Mattis said Pyongyang had forced “millions of Japanese into the duck and cover,” reports said, while Secretary of State Rex Tillerson urged China and Russia, Pyongyang’s main defenders, to take “direct actions” to rein it in.
Beijing said it opposed the launch, with foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying adding China would “continue to comprehensively and completely implement” UN sanctions resolutions.
In response to the launch, South Korea’s military immediately carried out a ballistic missile drill of its own, with the defense ministry saying it took place while the North’s rocket was still airborne.
One Hyunmu missile traveled 250 kilometers into the East Sea, Korea’s name for the Sea of Japan―a trajectory intentionally chosen to represent the distance to the launch site at Sunan, near Pyongyang’s airport, the ministry added.
But embarrassingly, another failed soon after being fired.
President Moon Jae-In told an emergency meeting of Seoul’s national security council that dialogue with the North was “impossible in a situation like this”.
But Seoul will decide next week whether to provide $8 million in humanitarian aid to the North.
The Security Council sanctions imposed on Monday are the strongest so far, banning the North’s textile trade, stopping new work permits for its laborers, and imposing restrictions on the shipments of oil products, among other measures.
But analysts expect them to do little to dissuade Pyongyang, which says it needs nuclear weapons to defend itself against the threat of invasion by the US.
US Strategic Command chief Air Force General John Hyten told reporters Thursday that on the available information he was “assuming” the sixth test was an H-bomb. With John Paolo Bencito
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.