THE crime rate in Metro Manila went down during the period July 1 to 19, the National Capital Region Police Office said Monday.
Metro Manila Police Chief Oscar Albayalde said street crime went down significantly during the period”•especially crime against property”•compared with the data recorded on the first semester of 2016.
“We are seeing a remarkable reduction of street crime particularly crime against property region-wide,” Albayalde said.
He said the number of robbery cases in Metro Manila went down from 85 to 59 incidents, theft from 176 to 113 cases, car theft from 8 to 0 cases, motorcycle theft from 29 to 10 cases, and physical injuries from 97 to 72 cases.
He said Oplan Tokhang and Double Barrel being implemented by the Philippine National Police had greatly contributed to the reduction of street crime.
Albayalde said the campaign against suspected drug pushers, couriers and dependents also resulted in the surrender of 25,230 people, the arrest of 1,025 including two Taiwanese nationals, and the neutralization of 106 drug personalities.
“We also recovered 78 firearms including one grenade and 19 bladed weapons, Albayalde said.
“We also confiscated 99 kilos of crystalline granulesingredients in the making of shabuand 298 kilos of liquid Methamphetamine hydrochloride.”
Albayalde, said 290.4 grams of shabu, 18,295.1382 grams and eight sachets of marijuana were also confiscated worth P1.7 billion.
He said his office’s commitment to the cleansing against its personnel was continuing. Of the 16,000 police officers tested for drugs, 11 were found positive and they had been relieved and were now undergoing investigation.
He said the NCRPO will conduct further investigations on their involvement with illegal drugs and drug personalities. Corresponding sanction would be implemented immediately.