A GROUP of 18 retired Marines consisting the so-called “Baligod 18” has reportedly gone into hiding following claims of death threats.
United People’s Initiative (UPI) lead convenor Romeo Poquiz, himself a retired Air Force general, claimed that the lives of the so-called “Baligod 18” are now being allegedly threatened by authorities.
“Unfortunately, the 18 marines are not available right now 1 due to serious physical threats against them. We should understand that their lives are at stake here,” Poquiz said.
As this developed, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has issued subpoenas to the 18 former Marines who claimed they delivered bags of cash to current and former government officials.
Also subpoenaed were former congressman Mike Defensor, lawyer Levito Baligod, and the unnamed lawyer who notarized the Marines’ affidavits, NBI director Melvin Matibag said on Friday.
“We are deputized by the Ombudsman to investigate the issue,” Matibag told reporters.
UPI was supposed to fete the 18 so-called “marines” who gave their sworn testimony in the allegations on the flood control scandal.
Poquiz later said the affidavits were already prepared as he appealed for understanding on their presumed death threats.
“Let us also consider their anxieties over their physical safety,” Poquiz added in Filipino.
The group previously confirmed that they are among those who are providing security for these supposed witnesses on a “rotational” basis.
“Those assigned to secure them are on rotation. They moment they get out of here (UPI), we are with them. We help in their security,” UPI secretary-general Rey Valeros said, as he opted not to disclose their current whereabouts.
The UPI also paid tribute to former Marine personnel Orly Guteza, another of Co’s former aides, as well as lawyer Levi Baligod.
National Security Adviser Eduardo Año and former senator Antonio Trillanes IV have filed complaints against the group before the Department of Justice (DOJ).
In a press conference last month, Baligod presented the 18 former Marines who allegedly witnessed deliveries of up to P805 billion in alleged kickbacks to politicians from anomalous flood control projects.
The Marines said they were aides of fugitive former lawmaker Zaldy Co, a key figure in the flood control controversy.
Malacañang described the group’s allegations as a “lousy script” that is “not award-worthy,” and urged law enforcement agencies to take appropriate action.







