Advertisement

Kidnapped Pinoy seamen to return

The Department of Foreign Affairs said Friday 10 Filipino seafarers who were abducted last month by pirates operating in the Gulf of Guinea were set to return home on April 19.

In a statement, the department said the 10 Filipino crewmen, along with five other nationalities, were freed by their captors on April 11, 2021, a month after they were taken hostage while aboard the chemical tanker MT David B off the coast of Benin.

The six other Filipino crew members of Davide B who were spared from the kidnapping arrived home on April 3, 2021, with the help of their Dutch employer and the local manning agency Elburg Shipmanagement Philippines Inc. who secured their release and their immediate repatriation.

De Poli Shipmanagement said its vessel MT Davide B was attacked about 210 nautical miles south of Cotonou, Benin, on March 15, 2021.

The MT Davide B is a chemical tanker was on a commercial voyage from Riga, Latvia, to Lagos, Nigeria, at the time of the attack and was flying the Maltese flag.

Topics: Department of Foreign Affairs , Gulf of Guinea , Elburg Shipmanagement Philippines Inc , MT Davide B
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1
Advertisement