The Supreme Court has ordered the suspension of works in various buildings and offices inside the Court’s compound along Padre Faura, Manila to pave the way for the massive disinfection and sanitation of its offices as part of its preventive measures to stop the alarming increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in the country and its new variants.
In a two-page memorandum, Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta said the disinfection and sanitation started March 11.
“After consultation with the other Justices and chiefs of offices, more thorough disinfection, cleaning, and sanitation of the different buildings and offices of the Supreme Court is hereby ordered to be undertaken to minimize the possible spread of infection,” Peralta said.
The high court cancelled last Tuesday its scheduled continuation of the oral arguments on the 37 petitions seeking to declare the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 unconstitutional as some associate justices went on quarantine.
However, the SC did not say the reason the justices went on quarantine.
In order to allow the uninterrupted conduct of disinfection and sanitation, all offices would only operate with a skeleton staff even if work has been suspended at the SC.
During this period of disinfection and sanitation, Peralta said they would allow committees with previously scheduled meetings to proceed, depending on the discretion of the chairperson or head of the committee.
The memorandum also stated that urgent matters should be attended to by the concerned chiefs or heads of offices, who are expected to be reached at any time of the day.
They also expect on-duty personnel of the Medical and Dental Services, Security and Maintenance Divisions, Office of Administrative Services-Supreme Court to report for work.
Peralta also required all offices to maintain a skeleton force of 50 percent from March 15 to March 19 in order to maintain physical distancing of six feet.