Advertisement

PNP looks into health protocol ‘violations’

The Philippine National Police on Thursday said its probe on the alleged violations of health protocols by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque and Senator Emmanuel Pacquiao was expected to be completed next week.

PNP chief Gen. Debold Sinas said the results of the investigation would then be submitted to Interior Secretary Eduardo Año.

“I have set a deadline until Monday next week so we can forward the recommendations to Secretary Año so that he would see the results of the inquiry and the investigation conducted by our PNP commanders,” Sinas said in a television interview on Thursday.

Recently, Año directed the PNP to investigate Roque and Pacquiao after the events that they attended drew a large crowd, which violated quarantine protocols.

It was not clear where and when Pacquiao violated health protocols.

Large gatherings are currently prohibited under guidelines of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

On Tuesday, Roque slammed the supposed “unfair” coverage of some media outlets after netizens criticized his attendance in an event in Cebu province, which drew in a large crowd while failing to observe physical distancing.

In a press conference, Roque said he was resentful because media outlets were quick to point out how he was surrounded by crowds but seemingly ignored how Vice President Leni Robredo herself would even shake hands with individuals she would meet in relief operations and other activities.

Roque, who attended the opening of the Bantayan Island Airport, said it seemed that media outlets purposely left out reporting about Robredo’s violation of quarantine protocols.

He added that he had no control over the people who would go outside to see him.

But Roque admitted that he learned from his controversial trip to Cebu last week.

Roque made the statement after Interior and Local Government Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said on Wednesday that government officials who do not observe minimum health protocols against COVID-19 won’t inspire public compliance.

Last month, netizens also criticized Roque after a video of him singing without a face mask went viral on social media.

The video made the rounds as the government was grappling with criticism over what some perceived as a slow response to the aftermath of Typhoon Ulysses.

Topics: Philippine National Police , Harry Roque , Emmanuel Pacquiao , Debold Sinas , Eduardo Año
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Working Pillars of the House
Advertisement