The Education department said Wednesday it will be consulting schools and parents following suggestions to adjust the enrollment dates in case the coronavirus crisis stalls the opening of classes in June.
Education Secretary Leonor Briones says some groups want to move the opening of classes to August, but her department has yet to decide on the matter.
"We are looking at [the suggestions] because if we start in August, the heat is at its peak and not all school buildings are ready for the intense heat, and the children are vulnerable,” Briones told DZMM's Failon Ngayon.
"Hopefully, before the end of April there will be a clear decision on the matter of enrollment.”
Briones said her department had prepared a "continuity learning plan" in case the coronavirus crisis prolonged the class suspensions as earlier disclosed by Senate committee on basic education chairman Sherwin Gatchalian.
She did not discuss details of the plan, but she said it would likely involve the use of online educational platforms.
“Even before COVID, we were already looking at the ways of expanding the use of technology in our education systems,” Briones said.
She said most schools were able to adapt quickly to online class setups since these were already being practiced before the COVID-19 pandemic.
Classes in all levels were suspended in Luzon and other parts of the country last month shortly before the national government placed Luzon under a nearly two-month lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19.
The Palarong Pambansa, graduation rites and other school activities this summer were suspended as Health officials banned large congregations to limit the transmission of the disease.