Malacañang on Monday urged former presidential spokesman Harry Roque to file charges against corrupt officials of the Philippine Health Insurance Corp.
Roque, the lawyer for two whistleblowers who exposed a fraudulent scheme to claim payments for “ghost” dialysis, earlier said he is mulling to press charges against former and current PhilHealth officials allegedly involved in irregularities.
“If Mr. Roque has the goods on any official of the PhilHealth, then he should file the appropriate charges,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.
Roque said he was willing to file the cases for free if the new PhilHealth president Ricardo Morales would provide him the documents needed to identify the officials involved in fraudulent activities.
He also said he is planning to file cases against former PhilHealth president Roy Ferrer and former board members for accrediting hospitals involved in ghost claims.
Ferrer and former board member Roberto Salvador, Jr. tagged seven officials as part of a supposed “mafia” who wielded high influence in the agency.
They were identified as Paolo Johan Perez, regional vice president of PhilHealth Regional Office 4B; Khaliquzzaman Macabato, RVP of PhilHealth Regional Office ARMM; Valerie Anne Hollero, assistant corporate secretary; Dennis Adre, RVP of PhilHealth Regional Office XII; Masiding Alonto Jr., RVP of PhilHealth Regional Office Region X; Jelbert Galicto, RVP of PhilHealth Regional Office CARAGA and William Chavez, RVP of PhilHealth Regional Office Region VII.
The so-called PhilHealth mafia has ensured that there were no review of rates and overpayments and manipulated the processing of claims for their own benefit, according to the two officials at a Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing last week.
The seven officials, who have been suspended, denied any wrongdoing.
Panelo also said Roque’s suggestion to abolish PhilHealth should be addressed to Congress.
“If he wants it abolished then address it to Congress,” Panelo said.