Advertisement

Duterte meets Misuari for third time

President Rodrigo Duterte met with Moro National Liberation Front founding chairman Nur Misuari in Malacañang on Tuesday night, which marked the third meeting of the two this year.

Photos released by the Palace showed Duterte and Misuari shaking hands while surrounded by some Cabinet members.

Former presidential aide and now Senator Christopher “Bong” Go, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Carlito Galvez, Jr., and Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol were present during the meeting.

Piñol is being eyed by Duterte to be his “point man” in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, which was a product of the peace pact between the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front, a breakaway group of MNLF.

Malacañang has yet to release details of the meeting.

Earlier this year, Duterte said he will seek Misuari's help to ensure lasting peace in Mindanao.

Misuari is a former governor of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, the entity superseded by the BARMM.

The President has repeatedly said he hopes to reach an agreement with Misuari because the latter threatened him of war should government fail to pursue a shift to federalism, which Misuari sees as an alternative to BARMM. 

Topics: Rodrigo Duterte , Moro National Liberation Front , Nur Misuari , Christopher “Bong” Go
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementSpeaker GMA
Advertisement