The families of the so-called SAF 44 are filing a motion for reconsideration at the Ombudsman.
This is in connection with the order of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales to charge Former President Noynoy Aquino with usurpation of authority and graft.
The cases stem from the role Aquino played as Commander in Chief during the anti-terror operation on January 24, 2015 in Mamasapano, Maguindanao that resulted in the death of 44 members of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF).
Former PNP Chief Alan Purisima and Former SAF Director Getulio Napeñas were named co-accused in the raps.
Atty. Ferdinand Topacio says, the families of the slain policemen are dismayed because the Ombudsman supposedly downgraded the charges.
He recalls, the kin of SAF 44 had previously filed before the Ombudsman homicide cases.
He said, “we filed 44 counts of homicide pero naging graft lang at usurpation. Napakababa ng fi-nayl na kaso (we filed 44 counts of homicide but the cases became just graft and usurpation. The cases were very much downgraded).”
Topacio represents 11 of the 44 SAF families.
Former Deputy Presidential Spokesman Abigail Valte says, Aquino has received a copy of the charges.
She says, the former president may file an appeal.
Valte notes, there may have been some misinterpretation of facts in the way the Mamasapano incident was narrated and these mistakes may have led to wrong conclusions.