The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and MRT-3 management have denied “false allegations” circulated in a vlog by Kamanggagawa Party-list Rep. Eli San Fernando and some members of the MRT-3 Employees Association claiming that the rail line is unsafe for commuters.
The DOTr maintained that the rail line remains entirely safe, dismissing claims that the transition to four-car train configurations poses a risk to the public.
The agency said all MRT-3 train sets undergo thorough technical evaluation, and the DOTr and maintenance provider Sumitomo Corporation will never allow the safety of daily commuters to be compromised. “The safety of commuters is the DOTr’s top priority,” it added.
The DOTr said the MRT-3’s signaling system is capable of supporting four cars running from North Avenue to Taft Avenue. “The system has also passed an inspection by international rail consultant SYSTRA, which confirms that it is safe to operate four train cars,” it said.
“It is also not true that the Dalian trains are not ready for deployment and that the train drivers are not adequately trained. These trains are undergoing the necessary testing and technical processes before being allowed to operate. Coordination meetings are also being held to ensure their operational readiness and compliance with safety standards,” the agency said.
The DOTr also clarified that MRT-3 wrote to Rep. San Fernando on February 13 explaining the technical and safety evaluation proving that the four-car trains can be safely operated daily.
Rep. San Fernando’s office officially received the letter on February 18, but MRT-3 has not received a response.
MRT-3 also explained to Rep. San Fernando that the work schedule of train drivers follows the guidelines set by the Civil Service Commission.
“Now that the price of crude oil is rising, commuters and vehicle owners should be encouraged to use our rail lines to save on fuel,” the DOTr said.
“Now is not the time for politics. The severe crisis facing the entire world is no joke, so we should help the people, especially commuters,” it added.
The Philippines acquired 48 light rail vehicles in 2014 from CCRC Dalian Co., but technical compatibility issues prevented their operation on the MRT-3 system.
Modifications to the trains were made at no cost to the Philippine government, and they were deployed in July last year.
German firm TUV Rheinland oversaw a full technical audit, while MRT-3’s current maintenance provider, Japan’s Sumitomo Corporation, conducted final safety checks.
The MRT-3 currently serves around 380,000 passengers daily.







