Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Baricuatro expects better emergency response via Unified 911

CEBU— Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro welcomed the launch of the first Regional Command Center System of the new Unified 911 on Saturday, October 25, at the PLDT-Jones Office in Cebu City, calling it a vital step toward improved coordination and emergency preparedness.

Baricuatro hailed the initiative in fulfillment of “the promise that someone will always answer the call for help.” The Unified 911 system aims to ensure faster response, clearer communication, and a stronger connection between frontliners, local government units, and citizens.

- Advertisement -

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), with its attached agencies, launched the modernized Unified 911 system last month at the National Command Center (NCC), temporarily housed at the PLDT Building in Sampaloc, Manila.

As part of its nationwide rollout, Regional and Satellite Command Centers will be established across the country to make emergency services more responsive and language-inclusive.

The first Regional Command Center, located in Cebu City, marks a major milestone in enhancing the government’s capacity to deliver fast, coordinated, and lifesaving emergency response services.

“For the Philippines, being an archipelago of more than 100 dialects, we must respect each other and be together. Despite our differences in politics, we must realize that we are Filipinos, and the service must come as one,” DILG Secretary Juanito Victor ‘Jonvic’ Remulla said.

Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) director Jesus Fernandez described the launch as a significant moment for public safety and emergency preparedness in Cebu and the entire Visayas region, which are reeling from a recent devastating earthquake.

The unified 911, Cebu satellite command center is more than just a center of operations. This facility represents the future of emergency management that is more connected, efficient and resilient, Fernandez said in his message at the event.

“It aligns Cebu with global standards for rapid, coordinated and effective crisis intervention. The integration of police, fire, medical and rescue services under one unified system will definitely reduce response time and ensure that resources are deployed faster, smarter,” he added.

Philippine National Police (PNP) Acting Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez, Jr. also emphasized the importance of the unified 911 service, describing it as a “future-oriented emergency management system that is more connected, efficient, and resilient” aligned with global standards.

It facilitates rapid crisis intervention through the integration of police, fire, medical, and rescue services under one unified system aimed at reducing response times and ensuring smarter deployment of resources, according to Nartatez.

Remulla outlined the next steps in the system, including the implementation of 911 services, vehicles, ambulances, and fire trucks. The program also envisions the deployment of long-range drones for 24/7 patrols in various cities, including Metro Manila, Cebu, and others.

He also bared future plans and technological advancements including the introduction of Sky Net, which features long-range drones patrolling the skies. The devices will be operational 24/7, seven days a week, and will respond quickly to 911 calls.

The drones will be authorized to take photos and ensure the safety of the public, marking a significant technological advancement in local government. This initiative was presented as a corruption-free system for the benefit of the entire Philippines, Remulla said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img