President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday welcomed San Miguel Corp. (SMC) president and chief executive officer Ramon Ang’s proposal to help solve flooding in the National Capital Region (NCR), citing the businessman’s track record in completing infrastructure projects on time.
“This is why from the very beginning I always said the private sector needs to be part of our national development,” Mr. Marcos told reporters.
“Ramon Ang’s proposal is certainly very welcome… we’ve seen his projects, and the results are good,” he added.
The President said Ang had previously briefed him on the plan, which includes desilting waterways in Metro Manila.
However, he noted that Ang also emphasized the need for local government units (LGUs) to address garbage disposal, saying flood control efforts will not work without a sustainable waste management solution.
Marcos said Manila already has a waste-to-energy proposal in place, which could serve as a model for other flood-prone urban areas if proven effective.
Asked about Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson’s suggestion to involve other billionaires in addressing the country’s flooding problem, the President said he is open to the idea.
“You don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. If they are ready to help, they help,” Marcos said, adding that prominent business leaders in the Philippines have historically offered assistance for government projects.
He said any such proposals will require coordination between LGUs and private firms like SMC, noting that Ang’s ongoing Pasig River desilting project shows his familiarity with large-scale waterway rehabilitation.
“Any offers of help are always welcome,” Marcos concluded.







