One week to new Canada travel restriction: Gov't

A twice-delayed rule requiring visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly or transit through Canada to obtain an electronic travel authorization is to take effect in a week, officials reminded.

"Starting November 10, 2016, visa-exempt travellers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada," the government said in a statement.

"Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to fly to or transit through Canada."

US citizens are exempted.

Other foreign nationals, including those passing through on a stopover, must fill out an online eTA in advance of their trip and pay an administrative fee of Can$7 (US$5.29).

After completing the online form, permission to travel to Canada will be sent by email and will remain in effect for five years.

The regulation had been due to take effect in March, but a leniency period was granted due to technical glitches, then extended to give travellers more time to prepare for the changes.

Topics: Canada , travel , leisure , government
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementSpeaker GMA