Valenzuela City, Nestlé launch plastics program

posted June 11, 2019 at 10:20 pm
by  Jun David
With a booming industrial economy, Valenzuela City, in collaboration with Nestlé Philippines Inc., Green Antz Builders Inc., and DepEd Valenzuela, launches a city-wide waste management program all with the help from one of the biggest sources of pollution: plastics.

Valenzuela City, Nestlé launch plastics program
Mayor Rex Gatchalian (right) chats with Nestlé Philippines Inc. CEO Kais Marzouki during the launch of the ‘May Balik sa Plastik’ program at the People’s Park Ampitheater in Valenzuela City. Jun David
Every year, 400 million tons of plastic is being produced by the industrial sector worldwide, where only 14 percent is recycled, while the remaining 86 percent are disposed into landfills.

The Philippines has an astonishing 163 million sachets of daily plastic waste, where local-level efforts must be doubled and projects must be enforced in commitment to save the environment.

“May Balik sa Plastik!”,  the first city-specific residual waste collection program by Nestle Philippines Inc., spearheads one of the many programs by the City Government focusing on solid waste management.

This program aims to decrease the amount of waste laminates in the Valenzuela landfill and transfer stations by sorting and collecting waste laminates for co-processing, recycling, or upcycling.

The awareness-driven project’s Ceremonial Launch and Commitment Setting was held at the Valenzuela People’s Park Amphitheater on Monday.

The honorable city officials joined DepEd Valenzuela, Nestle Philippines Inc. CEO Kais Marzouki, Green Antz President Rommel Benig, and representatives from the Sangguniang Kabataan Federation, Liga ng mga Barangay, City Street Sweepers, public school students, teachers, and parents.

“Nowadays, people tend to recycle the bigger chunks of plastic. You have to remember that [one of] the big sources of waste in the city are the laminates and tetra packs. These are the things that we want to recover back to the system for reuse and repurpose so we can actually lessen the trash volume of the city,” City Mayor Rex Gatchalian said.

Nestlé Philippines Inc.started with the city-specific program with Valenzuela City in line with its global commitment that 100% of Nestlé’s packaging will be recyclable and reusable by 2025.

Marzouki affirms that none of Nestle’s packaging “will ever go to the landfill… Everything will be reused, will be recycled, will be disposed off without impacting the environment.”

The project also embarks on a school-based and barangay-based collection program, complemented by activities that will create awareness and behavior change, information, education, and communication on waste management.

The project will also run incentive schemes for public schools and city street sweepers.

The key take to this successful waste management campaign is not just the mass collection of plastic waste, but through programs that can change the culture and mindset of repurposing materials for the benefit of communities, Marzouki and Gatchalian said.

Topics: Valenzuela City , Nestlé Philippines Inc. , Green Antz Builders Inc. , DepEd Valenzuela , “May Balik sa Plastik!”
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.