Emergencies happen. For such instances, it is best to always be prepared.
As pet owners, we must have a first aid kit at home.
“A first-aid kit is important not only in the event of a natural disaster, but any time a pet is far away from immediate help – for example when the family takes the pet camping or on vacation out of the area, said ASPCApro.org in “How to Make a Pet First Aid Kit.”
“Help make sure your adopters and veterinary clients are prepared in the event of an unexpected pet emergency with this do-it-yourself first-aid kit, recommended by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center,” it added.
The contents of a First Aid Kit for Pets:
• Absorbent gauze pads
• Adhesive tape
• Cotton balls or swabs
• Fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting (always check with veterinarian or animal poison control expert before giving to your pet)
• Ice pack
• Disposable gloves
• Scissors with blunt end
• OTC antibiotic ointment
• Oral syringe or turkey baster
• Liquid dishwashing detergent (for bathing)
• Small flashlight
• Alcohol wipes
• Styptic powder
• Saline eye solution
• Artificial tear gel
• Phone number, clinic name, address of your veterinarian as well as local veterinary emergency clinics.
Please check your first aid kit every few months to make sure nothing has expired or needs to be replaced.
Keep the kit away from children.
When an emergency happens, call your vet immediately and he/she will instruct you on what to do.
Animal Special Days
There are many ways to celebrate the special role dogs, cats and other pets play in our lives.
We can hold a birthday party for our pets on their birth day, or the day you rescued her, or the day you adopted him.
Or you can celebrate with others on special days set aside by animal welfare groups or animal lovers.
Here are special days collated by Dog Tipper for this month:
• Adopt-A-Dog Month®. By American Humane Association.
• Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month. By ASPCA.
• National Animal Safety and Protection Month.
• National Pet Wellness Month.
• National Pit Bull Awareness Month.
• 1st Week of October. National Walk Your Dog Week.
• 1st Full Week of October. Animal Welfare Week.
• Oct. 11-17: National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America.
• Oct. 1: National Fire Pup Day.
• Oct. 1: National Black Dog Day.
• Oct. 4: World Animal Day.
• Oct. 14: National Pet Obesity Awareness Day.
• Oct. 16: Global Cat Day.
• Oct. 16: National Feral Cat Day.
• Oct. 17: National Fetch Day.
• Oct. 21: National Pets for Veterans Day.
• Oct. 26: National Pit Bull Awareness Day. Last Saturday in Oct. (unless Halloween falls on the last Saturday, then another date is chosen).
• Oct. 27: National Black Cat Day in the UK.
• Oct. 28: Plush Animal Lovers Day. A day that most dogs will be happy to celebrate…as they unstuff those plush toys…
• Oct. 29: National Cat Day.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.