Advertisement

Lingkud Bayanihan Caravan launched

Amid the renewed lockdowns, due to the spiked COVID-19 cases in Metro Manila, the private sector have stepped up to help fight hunger in Metro Manila.

A humanitarian food and relief goods distribution campaign dubbed Lingküd Bayanihan Caravan was launched starting at the Hospicio de San Jose, a homeless shelter in Quiapo, Manila recently. This was followed by a series of more house to house food drives in Manila, Quezon City and other parts in the National Capital Region (NCR) to feed the underprivileged residents of the metropolis most of whom lost their source of livelihood because of the stricter community quarantine imposed by government.

The participants in the Lingküd Bayanihan Caravan included the Philippine Medical Association (PMA), Clean Air Philippines Movement, Inc ( CAPMI), Vegetable Importers Exporters Vendors Association (VIEVA), Confederate Sentinels of God (CSG), Beta Sigma Fraternity Medical Group (BSFMG) , and the League of Data-privacy and Cybersecurity Advocates of the Philippines (LeaDCAP). They were joined by the Philippine National Police (PNP), some NCR local government units (LGUs) and even the barangays.

““LINGKOD meaning service and BAYANIHAN that also means working together, are two traditions deeply embedded in every Filipino blood. Let us awaken these spirits inside all of us now so we can truly help our suffering people as we fight this common enemy called COVID-19,” CAPMI president Leo O. Olarte, M.D. declared, as he asked  for more support to their noble cause to feed the suffering and hungry people of Metro Manila.

As early as July 1, 2020, Olarte had already signified their intention to President Rodrigo Duterte to “let the private sector initiate a temporary feeding of the displaced and hungry who lost their income due to mandatory lockdowns.”

Meanwhile, Philippine Medical Association (PMA) president Dr Benito Atienza announced that the PMA auditorium located at North Avenue, Quezon City is now open to accept any donations to feed the hungry for the continuity of their multi sector led Lingküd Bayanihan Caravan in the NCR.

Leah Cruz, VIEVA founding president, said farmers in the provinces have partnered with vegetable and fruit vendors in Metro Manila to deliver free food on a house-to house basis through the Lingküd Bayanihan spirit.

Over 10,000 residents from Tondo and other parts of Manila were “happy beneficiaries” of Lingküd Bayanihan Caravan in the distribution of food and relief goods on May 2 until May 9. 

Alvin Constantino, CSG founder, said they also visited areas in Quezon City’s District 6 to distribute.

Topics: Lingkud Bayanihan Caravan , COVID-19 , Hospicio de San Jose , National Capital Region , community quarantine
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1
Advertisement