Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso ordered an automatic lockdown of barangays that register an alarming increase in COVID-19 cases.
Domagoso also called on Manila Police District Director Leo Francisco and all station commanders to strictly enforce all minimum health protocols and ordinances, including the imposition of a curfew and the mandatory use of face masks.
The mayor, who last week described the COVID situation in the city as “alarming” after it registered a record-high of 196 positive cases in one day, said the next two weeks are crucial given that bed capacity and occupancy rate in the six city-run hospitals are also much higher now than in the past four months.
Pasay Mayor Imelda Rubiano said she favors imposing localized lockdowns instead of placing the entire city under the stricter Enhanced Community Quarantine to curb the spread of COVID-19.
She said placing select barangays under localized lockdowns as well as the strict implementation of basic health and safety measures have been proven effective.
Dr. Tony Leachon, a former consultant of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, earlier proposed placing Pasay City under ECQ.
As of Friday, Rubiano said 65 barangays remain under localized lockdowns.
The Navotas City local government will conduct granular lockdowns in areas that have recorded a rise in COVID-19 cases.
Mayor Tobias Tiangco said the start and end of the lockdowns will be different for each area.
“Improper wearing of face masks and face shields can accelerate the spread of the virus. As soon as you walk out of the house, make sure you wear face masks and face shields. Let’s make sure that health protocols are followed,” he added.