COTABATO CITY—The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) has relatively low incidence of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) compared to other regions, officials said over the weekend.
Lawyer Naguib Sinarimbo, BARMM interior and local government minister, said the region has a total number of 4,403 COVID-19 cases since the dreaded pandemic struck the world last year.
Sinarimbo, also BARMM spokesperson, on Friday briefed representatives of international humanitarian agencies at the Regional Incident Command Center here during the Second BARMM-Mindanao Humanitarian Team Meet.
BARMM has 153 reported COVID-19-related deaths with only 153 new cases thus far, Sinarimbo told the delegates, mostly representatives of United Nations agencies.
Gathered were representatives of the UN International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF), UN Development Programme (UNDP), Accion Contra El Hambre, Planning International, the International Labour Organization (ILO), and the UN Office on the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA).
Sinarimbo added that the regional government advocating for “moral governance” has invested in constructing isolation facilities to contain the disease amid tight community lockdowns.
He said the firm response paid off after the construction of isolation facilities at Cotabato Sanitarium Hospital in Sultan Kudarat town in Maguindanao; in Sulu Provincial Hospital; in Datu Halun Sakilan Hospital in Tawi-Tawi; in Amai Pakpak Memorial Medical Center in Lanao del Sur; in Lamitan District Hospital; and in Buluan District Hospital in Maguindanao.
The regional government had also provided hospitals and frontline workers with ventilators, protective personnel equipment, and incentives to lowly medical workers, the minister said.