Advertisement

Meralco defers disconnection of unpaid accounts until end of April

Manila Electric Co., the biggest retailer of electricity, said Tuesday it is suspending all disconnection activities in its franchise area until April 30 following the government’s announcement placing the National Capital Region, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal under the modified enhanced community quarantine until the end of the month.

“Given the ongoing pandemic situation and the latest quarantine measures, and always conscious of the challenges our customers are facing amid these trying times, we will continue to put on hold all disconnection activities until April 30,” Meralco first vice president and chief commercial officer Ferdinand Geluz said in a statement.

Meralco is the country’s largest power distributor with more than seven million customers in its franchise area which is mainly the ‘NCR Plus’ bubble.

“We hope this extension will help lessen the burden of our customers and provide enough relief and time for them to settle their bills,” Geluz said.

Meralco earlier extended the no-disconnection policy until April 15, then moved it to April 30.

Geluz said Meralco would continue to be very considerate during this period and vowed to assist customers in need of help with their concerns.

Meralco said it would continue vital operations such as meter reading, following the order of the Energy Regulatory Commission and would also continue to work round-the-clock to serve customers.

“Meralco business operations, including meter reading and bill delivery activities, will continue throughout the MECQ,” said Geluz.

“Our continued operations will ensure that actual consumption for the month will be billed accordingly. But rest assured there will be strict implementation of health protocols in order to safeguard the health and safety of both customers and our personnel,” he said.

The ERC, in an advisory last year, encouraged customers who have the ability to pay to settle their bills within the original due date “to help manage the cash flow in the energy supply chain and ensure the continuous supply of electricity.”

Meralco also encouraged customers to send personal messages via Facebook Messenger, Twitter or call its 16211 hotline before going to Meralco business centers which would be on skeleton force during the MECQ.

Topics: Manila Electric Co. , Meralco , disconnections , modified enhanced community quarantine , MECQ
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1
Advertisement