San Miguel Corp. said it will close the 18-kilometer Skyway Stage 3 to pave the way for the formal inauguration of the project on Thursday afternoon and full opening the following day.
SMC said in preparation for the opening ceremony, the Skyway management would close Skyway 3 starting 10 p.m. Wednesday through the whole day of Jan. 14. A full inspection, set-up and staging of the opening and other pre-opening preparation activities were scheduled Thursday.
It said it would open all seven lanes of the elevated expressway from South Luzon Expressway in Alabang to the North Luzon Expressway at 5 a.m. on Jan. 15. It will remain toll-free until Jan. 29.
SMC, which fully funded the project, said motorists would finally be able to use all seven lanes of Skyway 3, which it soft-opened, free for public use on Dec. 29. Since then, an initial four lanes were in use, as finishing works continued on the much-awaited project, dubbed a true “game-changer” for Metro Manila traffic.
“We ask for the kind understanding of motorists, as we prepare to officially open Skyway 3. Following the opening, motorists will be able to experience the benefits of all seven lanes and all the features of this game-changing expressway that will reduce travel time from SLEX to NLEX and vice-versa, to only 30 minutes,” the Skyway management said.
The new expressway will help decongest traffic on EDSA and other major roads in Metro Manila.
“Skyway 3 will remain toll-free until Jan. 29, and we look forward to welcoming our motorists, and letting them experience seamless travel,” SMC said.