Advertisement

Grand Prix death triggers safety probe

Improved safety standards in motor racing will be pursued relentlessly and research into better protection for drivers will never stop, according to the sport’s ruling body.

Grand Prix death triggers safety probe
Track marshals look on as a crane lift parts of the damaged car of Sauber’s Ecuadorian driver Juan Manuel Correa onto a truck following a serious accident involving several drivers during a Formula 2 race at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Spa, Belgium, on August 31, 2019.  Motor racing prospect Anthoine Hubert was killed by a horrific high-speed crash just minutes into the Formula Two race held at  the  F1 Belgian Grand Prix, the FIA announced. Hubert, who was considered a serious talent by Renault’s F1 set up, died aged 22 following a three-car pile-up also involving Juan Manuel Correa and Giuliano Alesi at the exit of the Raidillon corner, one of the fastest sections of the quick Spa-Francorchamps track. AFP
International Motoring Federation (FIA) race director Michael Masi said an investigation into the crash on Saturday that killed Formula Two driver Anthoine Hubert had already begun.

“Safety is ever evolving,” said Masi, who took over his role following the sudden death earlier this year of long-time FIA official Charlie Whiting.

“Once different technologies become available, different materials become available—safety is an ever-evolving process. For me, it is something that will never end.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it. Safety is one of the core pillars of the FIA, part of why it exists. That is something that just won’t stop.

“We’ll continue to research and look at things and improve them as best we can.”

Frenchman Hubert’s death left the sport shocked and close friend Charles Leclerc dedicated his maiden Formula One victory for Ferrari to him following a dramatic win in Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix.

The young Monegasque drove with near-flawless judgement to convert pole position into a victory, fending off a late charge from defending five-time champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes to win by nine-tenths of a second.

Hamilton, who admitted he was devastated by the death of Hubert and had a sleepless Saturday night afterwards, praised the work of the FIA.

“There’s a huge amount of work that the FIA have done up to this point,” he said. “I think they’ve been working incredibly hard and we’ve seen big steps already -- obviously, particularly when Charlie was here, he made massive steps forward so we will continue in that direction.”

Hubert’s death, the first as a result of an accident at a Grand Prix for five years, stunned the sport.

American driver Juan-Manuel Correa, who suffered broken legs and a spinal injury in the crash, remained in intensive care on Sunday, but was reported to be in a stable condition. 

Topics: International Motoring Federation , Michael Masi , Juan-Manuel Correa , Grand Prix

Related stories:

No related stories matched this topic.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement