PCSO gives P2.5-m flood aid to Davao victims of ‘Vinta’
DAVAO CITY—The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office has extended aid to the victims of Tropical Storm “Vinta” here.
On Wednesday, representatives from the agency headed by lawyer Elvie Ann Tizon-Uy, PCSO Davao Branch OIC manager, turned over a check for P2.5 million to the city government.
“This is one way of giving back to the people,” Uy said. “PCSO is a charity office, we help people, cities and municipalities through assisting them in times of needs.”
Thirty percent of PCSO’s income is allotted to the charity events, such as helping flood victims, said Uy.
The City Government showed its gratitude to the generosity of PCSO, as City Social Services and Development Office head Maria Luisa Bermudo noted the agency has helped the city whenever it is in great need.
“This donation will be allocated to the rehabilitation of the more than 22,000 affected families. This is a big help for them and the City Government is very thankful to the PCSO,” Bermudo said.
Three weeks after the flood that put 25 barangays under a state of calamity, hundreds of residents remain in some of the evacuation centers owing to the damage brought by “Vinta.”
Earlier this week, Mayor Sara Duterte also handed out cash assistance to flood victims in the second and third districts of the City.
Affected families will receive from P3,000 to P10,000 each, depending on the extent of the damage they suffered. The cash assistance comes from the disaster funds of Davao City.