Cotabato City—One of the suspects in the Davao City night market bombing last year has surrendered to the Cotabato City police office on Sunday.
Cotabato City police director Sr. Supt. Rolly Octavio said Mohammad Lalaog Chenikandiyil, who was arrested and released in October last year, voluntarily surrendered to him.
Chenikandiyil, alias “Boy,” was included in the Department of National Defense Arrest Order No. 2 that Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana issued following the declaration of martial law in Mindanao in the aftermath of the Marawi siege.
“He insisted he was not involved in the Davao bombing and he wanted to clear his name,” Octavio said.
Chenikandiyil was among the four other bombing suspects arrested on October 27 in separate raids by CIDG-ARMM in Barangay Rosary Heights 7, Cotabato City and in Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao.
Also arrested in the raid were Zack Haron Villanueva Lopez, Jackson Mangulamas Usi, and Ausan Abdullah Mamasapano, according to then CIDG-ARRM Director Supt. Jimmy Daza.
The Davao Regional Trial Court Branch 13, however, ordered the Davao police office to release Chenikandiyil on Nov. 11 after it granted the petition for writ of habeas corpus filed by the suspect’s wife.
At least 14 people were killed and 50 others were injured in the bombing last year.