The Sandiganbayan Fifth Division on Friday allowed former First Lady and Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos to post P150,000 bail for her temporary liberty.
Marcos said she would have attended her last Nov. 9 promulgation before the anti-graft court despite being sick had she known the schedule.
“If I knew about it your honor, I would have been here. Even if I was sick, I would have come here,” said Marcos, who said she learned about the promulgation of her charges from watching the news on TV.
The bail is in effect until the Sandiganbayan decides on Mrs. Marcos’ motion for Leave of Court to Avail of Post Conviction Remedies, after she was convicted of seven counts of graft.
READ: Police won’t arrest Imelda sans court order
“We will order her to post bond in the original bond. It’s about P150,000,” said Associate Justice Rafael Lagos, the chairman of the Sandiganbayan’s Fifth Division.
Former Court of Appeals Associate Justice Manuel Lazaro, Marcos’ lawyer, responded to Lagos in the affirmative when asked about their readiness to settle the P150,000 bail.
The P150,000 bail bond is the same amount that Marcos posted in 1991 that was forfeited following her failure to attend the Nov. 9 promulgation of her cases.
The 89-year-old Marcos earlier apologized at the Sandiganbayan about her non-appearance last Nov. 9, citing health reasons.
She also said her absence during the promulgation did not mean she disrespected the court.
Marcos explained that her doctors advised her to avoid “stressful conditions.”
Marcos was accompanied by her children, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., and Irene Marcos, as well as grandchildren Borgy and Mike Manotoc, and Luis Araneta, throughout the proceedings Friday.
Senator Aquilino Pimentel III said Mrs. Marcos should be given a chance to explain her absence last week when the court promulgated her guilty verdict, saying this happens to thousands of accused.
Marcos cited health reasons for her absence but managed to attend the birthday party of her daughter Imee.
Scores of supporters of the late President Ferdinand Marcos trooped to the Sandiganbayan Friday to express their support for Mrs. Marcos and denounce what they called the political persecution of the Marcos family by “terrorist communist organizations.”
READ: Conviction is enough, Suarez chimes in on Imelda
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.