Special Report on the Economy
Advertisement

Palace chides senator over 'loss' of guards

 

Malacañang on Saturday said it had nothing to do with the removal of two of six security personnel assigned to escort Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, saying elected officials like Trillanes were allowed to have only four police or military to act as bodyguards.

The opposition senator, one of the most vocal critics of President Rodrigo Duterte, said his security personnel had been reduced from six to four on orders of the President.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, however, said Trillanes was only allowed to have four security personnel and it was the PNP that recalled the two police detailed to the senator.

In a statement, Roque said that as per PNP,  two were removed as he already had six when he’s only allowed four.

“Let’s allow our PNP to keep our communities safe please,” Roque added.

PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde reportedly said there was no directive to strip the opposition senator of police escorts, adding the “duty” of security men assigned to Trillanes might have already “expired” and must be renewed.

The PNP also found that Trillanes had six security personnel: two from the Armed Forces of the Philippines, two from the Philippine Navy and two from the Senate Security Bureau.

“The non-renewal of the letter orders of the excess security of Trillanes from the PNP is in compliance with the implementation of ‘Alunan Doctrine’ that allows government officials to have two security personnel protecting them,” the PNP said.

Topics: Malacañang , security personnel , Senator Antonio Trillanes IV , President Rodrigo Duterte , Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement