PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte assured that there are “no strings attached” on the close to P90 million in Chinese aid received by the Philippines for relief to the victims of typhoons ‘‘Karen’’ and ‘‘Lawin.’’
Duterte thanked Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jinhua, who visited the Palace to personally give P50 million shelled out by the Chinese Embassy to assist in rehabilitation efforts.
“These are the amounts that the Chinese government has given us by way of help. By the way, no strings attached. It’s completely out of benevolence,” Duterte said Monday night.
Duterte said that the Chinese gave a total of P89.9 million in aid, including $100,000 (P4.8 million) from the Chinese Red Cross and RMB5 million (P35 million) from the Chinese government itself.
“This will go a long way to rehabilitate and return the people, our countrymen to the normal life,” Duterte said. “For our country, it will surely go a long way [and] these will go to the national treasurer.”
The Chinese Embassy meanwhile said it is confident that the typhoon victims will swiftly recover from the calamity under Duterte’s leadership.
“Thank you very much for your countrymen, as friend as brothers it’s our duty and responsibility to provide assistance to the victims of typhoon,” Zhao said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping likewise “expressed sympathy and condolences” to President Rodrigo Duterte during their bilateral talk in Beijing on October 20, and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has also condoled with his counterpart, Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr.
“Lawin,” which hammered through northern Luzon last week, is the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year. It left at least 12 casualties and billions in damages.