Advertisement

CBCP seeks revival of deployment ban to Kuwait

The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines–Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People is calling for the imposition anew of the deployment ban on overseas Filipino workers to Kuwait.

Aside from the banning of Filipino workers, CBCP-ECMI chairman Balanga Bishop Ruperto Santos urged the government to compel Kuwait to implement the memorandum of agreement signed by both countries that will give protection to OFWs.

This came after a Filipina worker was allegedly raped by a Kuwaiti police officer shortly after she arrived in the Gulf state.

“Both governments must see to it that the suspected rapist-in-uniform must be prosecuted, punished; Justice must be served to our con national. All necessary assistance and help should be extended to her,” the Bataan prelate said.

“And we must be ready to enforce deployment ban, as she was [the] second victim after the brutal death of Constancia Dayag,” he added.

Santos noted the recent case of abuse on the OFW is a clear violation of the agreement signed by the Philippines and Kuwait, which is supposed to protect the rights of Filipino workers.

“The rape of our Filipina household service worker is a clear violation of the agreement between our country and Kuwait for the protection of OFWs,” he said.

“The Kuwait government must show political will to ensure the safety and security of our OFWs, and rights are promoted and respected,” he added.

He also pushed for the prosecution of the 22-year-old suspect, Fayed Naser Hamad Alajmy.

Earlier, the Department of Labor and Employment said it remains open to the possibility of the reimposition of the deployment ban to Kuwait due to the case of Dayag, who died last May 14 with her body reportedly having various contusions and hematoma as well as signs of sexual abuse.

The government is still waiting for the result of the autopsy conducted by the National Bureau of Investigation so that they will know on what action to be taken next.

Last year, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration imposed a four-month deployment ban to Kuwait amid the continued abuses and maltreatment of OFWs.

After its lifting in May 2018, Manila and Kuwait City entered into a memorandum of agreement on the deployment and protection of OFWs in the host country.

The agreement provides for the establishment of a special police unit that will assist the Philippine Embassy in administering rescue operations and extending assistance to OFWs in need.

Topics: Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines–Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People , CBCP-ECMI , deployment ban , overseas Filipino workers , OFWs , Kuwait

Related stories:

No related stories matched this topic.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Working Pillars of the House
Advertisement