The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority on Thursday announced the rehabilitation of Marcos Bridge will finally proceed this coming Saturday.
MMDA general manager Jose Arturo Garcia Jr. said the eastbound portion of Marcos Bridge along Marcos Highway would be closed beginning 11 p.m.
“After two weeks of preparations, it is definite now. Marcos Bridge will be closed for the next four months to give way to its long-overdue rehabilitation,” Garcia told a news briefing.
Light vehicles going to Antipolo may take the westbound direction while light vehicles going Cubao may use the service road in front of SM Marikina mall.
Rehabilitation works on the bridge was originally set to start on May 4 but was postponed after several ocular inspections showed that the contractor was not fully prepared to proceed with the project.
“Private contractors are now ready to push through with the rehabilitation after complying with the necessary requirements they need to address,” said Garcia.
The bridge, built in 1979, at the boundary of Marikina and Pasig cities, has an average daily traffic of 6,400 vehicles per hour in both directions.
Road traffic advisories were also installed around the site of the project.
Motorists and truckers are advised to take the following alternative routes:
Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
2. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
Antipolo to Cubao Routes:
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down tamp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave. left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao