MS 30th Anniversary XXX

Andrea Rosal’s baby dies at PGH

The granddaughter of the late communist rebel spokesman “Ka Roger” Rosal died at 5 p.m. Sunday of hypoxemia or oxygen deficiency in the blood, said a human rights group.

Cristina Palabay, secretary general of Karapatan, said Andrea Rosal delivered Baby Diona Andrea under stressful conditions at around 8 a.m. Saturday.

On Friday, a Regional Trial Court in Taguig City allowed her to be confined at  Philippine General Hospital (PGH).

“She was admitted only the evening of May 16 and finally gave birth on the morning of May 17,” Palabay said.

The  Free Andrea Rosal Movement on Facebook said the premature infant was placed in an incubator with a ventilator due to “difficulty of breathing”.

Rosal was seven months pregnant when she was arrested last March 27 by agents  of the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (ISAFP) and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Caloocan City.

The army accused her of kidnapping with murder while serving as secretary general of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New people’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Southern Tagalog.

She was moved a week later to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology in Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City in a 5x10-meter cell to join 31 other female inmates, Palayab said.

“We find the BJMP, the Armed Forces of the Philippines and all government agencies responsible for the illegal arrest and detention of Andrea Rosal accountable for the death of Diona Andrea,” she said.

“Their blatant disregard of the rights of Andrea, including her right to receive immediate medical care and be in an environment conducive for conceiving and delivering a healthy child, are apparent in this case.”

Palayab said Rosal was scheduled for “pre-natal check-up when she was illegally arrested” without receiving “any medical attention from jail authorities during her detention in Camp Bagong Diwa. Her transfer to PGH this week, in accordance to a court order issued for her immediate hospitalization, was unreasonably delayed by authorities.”

Palayab said “Andrea was experiencing uterine contractions since the evening of May 15, but she was brought back and forth from Camp Bagong Diwa and the PGH because BJMP  said there was no available room for her.”

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.