SENATOR Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. accused the Aquino administration and the Liberal Party of conspiring to rob him of around three million votes and said he will file an electoral protest to contest the victory of Vice President-elect Leni Robredo by the end of the month.
He also accused the Commission on Elections and election machinery provider Smartmatic of conspiring with the administration to rig the May 9 elections.
“It’s very very clear that there are many, many violations by Smartmatic and Comelec so we have to find which will make the best case for the electoral protest,” Marcos told reporters in a news briefing in Quezon City.
He said he has already gathered evidence of fraud both from witnesses and experts who flagged irregularities in the automated system.
“The hardest choice to make right now is which violation to use. We have evidence that there was vote buying, batch feeding, and ballot switching, among others,” Marcos told reporters in Davao City where he met with President-elect Rodrigo Duterte.
Marcos quoted the incoming president as saying “I know there was cheating” but he did not say what action Duterte would make as he accused the Aquino administration of electoral fraud.
“Only one can do that, the administration. We have to lay that at the door of the administration,” he said, adding that there were some three million “undervotes” and that cost him the vice presidency.
The Comelec proclaimed Robredo as the winner with 14,418,817 votes against the 14,155,344 votes for Marcos, or a margin of only 263,473 votes.
“The mistake that we made —my campaign made—was we could not possibly imagine that this would be done. How gross, how unconscionable to disregard the voice of the people. We did not imagine anyone could do that—that brazen treatment of the voice of the people,” he added.
Robredo said, however, decried that the statements coming from her rival are meant to “condition” the minds of people.
“This is contrary to groups who have said elections in the country were clean—groups like the Compact for Peaceful and Democratic Elections-International Observers Mission, a foreign, 3rd party institution, and even the Comelec and PPCRV. Even the police have said our elections were peaceful,” Robredo said in a statement.
“This is an outright brazen treatment to the voice of the rule of the people,” she added, saying that Marcos’ pronouncements “continue to divide our country.”
Asked on why the evidence was not raised earlier, Marcos said that the evidence was “obtained and made available to us only now.”
Marcos had earlier claimed that use of secret fourth server aside from the Comelec server, existence of election results from parts of ARMM where voting did not take place and members of the Board of Election Inspectors barred from entering their assigned precincts.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.