SINGAPORE—Chinese construction on a South China Sea islet claimed by the Philippines would prompt “actions being taken” by the United States and other nations, US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter warned Saturday.
Speaking at a security summit in Singapore, Carter said Beijing risks building a “Great Wall of self-isolation” with its military expansion in the contested waters, but he also proposed stronger bilateral security cooperation to reduce the risks of a mishap.
“I hope that this development doesn’t occur because it will result in actions being taken both by the United States, and actions being taken by others in the region that will have the effect of not only increasing tensions but isolating China,” Carter said when asked about Scarborough Shoal in a forum also attended by senior Chinese military officials.
Rear Admiral Guan Youfei, who heads the Chinese office of international military cooperation, quickly attacked the Pentagon chief’s remarks, telling journalists they reflected a “Cold War mentality.”
Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post has reported that China plans to establish an outpost on the shoal, located 230 kilometers (140 miles) off the Philippines, which considers it part of its exclusive economic zone.
Beijing claims nearly all of the strategically vital sea and has developed contested reefs into artificial islands, some topped with airstrips.
Manila says China took effective control of Scarborough Shoal in 2012, stationing patrol vessels and shooing away Filipino fishermen, after a two-month stand-off with the Philippine Navy.
Carter declined to elaborate when later pressed on what “actions” Washington might take.
The US warning came ahead of a ruling from the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague on a case brought by the Philippines against China, which has shunned the proceedings and says it will not recognize any ruling.
In a prepared speech, Carter said the United States views the upcoming finding “as an opportunity for China and the rest of the region to recommit to a principled future, to renewed diplomacy, and to lowering tensions, rather than raising them.”
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam have competing claims in the sea, which encompasses vital global shipping routes and is believed to have significant oil and gas deposits.
Beijing’s territorial claims, based on controversial historical records, have also pitted it against the United States, which has conducted patrols near Chinese-held islands to press for freedom of navigation.
“Unfortunately, if these actions continue, China could end up erecting a Great Wall of self-isolation,” Carter said in his speech.
He suggested the United States and China would benefit from better military ties—both to build understanding and to avoid the risk of mishaps.
Pentagon officials say two Chinese fighters last month conducted an “unsafe” intercept of a US spy plane in international air space over the South China Sea.
Admiral Harry Harris, the commander of the US Pacific Command, said in Singapore that such incidents were rare, and noted that US and Chinese naval vessels generally have “positive interactions.”
Carter’s attendance at the summit is part of a broader US diplomatic push, known as the “rebalance,” to boost alliances in the Asia-Pacific region.
In a report last month, the Pentagon said China put its land reclamation efforts on hold in the Spratly Islands chain at the end of 2015. Instead, it focused on adding military infrastructure to its reclaimed features.
Another regional security concern at the Singapore forum is North Korea’s nuclear program and its so-far unsuccessful missile tests.
Seoul and Washington want to deploy the United States’ sophisticated Terminal High Altitude Area Defence System, that would protect against North Korean missiles, though Beijing worries about the system being deployed on its doorstep.
“It’s not about China,” Carter said. “It’s about the North Korean missile threat, which is a clear threat to South Korea, to our forces there and to our allies in Japan.”
Meanwhile, incoming solicitor-general Jose Calida said there is a 70-80 percent chance the Philippines would win the arbitration case it filed against China before the Permanent Court on Arbitration in The Hague.
Citing a transition meeting with outgoing Solicitor General Florin Hilbay who led the Philippine case before the tribunal, Calida said that the government is “hopeful” that it would win the case it filed due to ongoing sea row in the West Philippine Sea, which could be resolved “within this month or next month.”
“It’s really a complicated issue, but according to the solicitor general now, the chances are 70 to 80 percent that we will win this case,” Calida told The Standard.
“We will cross the bridge when we get there. We will wait for the decision and we will make our moves after we get the decision,” Calida added.
The incoming administration of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte had promised to protect the Philippine claim over the contested land formations in the West Philippine Sea.
At a Tuesday’s press briefing, Duterte said the Philippines will not rely on the United States, its long-term security ally in dealing with Beijing over its territorial row although Manila will remain “an ally of the west,” honoring its commitments with its long-time ally.
Calida, a former justice undersecretary, said he met with Hilbay and incoming foreign secretary Perfecto Yasay to discuss the West Philippine Sea dispute with China.
“There will be other issues that will be discussed, but for that meeting, only that issue was discussed. We have many cases, actually,” Calida stressed.
In the same press briefing, Calida said that he is looking to hire at least 300 lawyers to solve the agency’s backlogs.
“We have many [pending] cases. The solicitors there handle 1,500 cases each,” Calida said Saturday.
Calida admitted that experienced lawyers have an advantage, but clarified that he is also open to “putting new blood into the system,” provided that they are skilled and incorruptible.
“Character is important to me but first of all, yung ability muna kasi you might be a saint but you can’t handle a case.”
Calida said there are 250 solicitors under the current system.
The former justice undersecretary said he intends to direct the solicitors to prioritize the West Philippine Sea case as soon as he takes office.
The incoming Solicitor General said the marching order of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte was simple: “Do your best.”
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.