Typhoon casualties in C. Luzon mount
SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga —At least 14 people were killed and 33 injured when a powerful typhoon roared across central Luzon last week, the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) said on Wednesday.
Damage to crops and infrastructure was estimated at more than P3 billion as Typhoon Santi brought heavy rains and floods that submerged highways, town centers and agricultural farms.
“A total of 876,179 people in 59 municipalities and seven cities in Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Pampanga and Zambales were affected by Santi’s wrath,” the RDRRMC statement said.
Typhoon Santi moved out of the country on October 13. But it left wide areas with electricity for several days.
The floodwaters subsided after a few days. But people were stranded in many areas because roads and bridges were destroyed and government crews had to clear the highways of uprooted trees and debris.
RDRRMC said a total of 44,151 houses were damaged in Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Bulacan, Aurora, Pampanga, Pangasinan, and Nueva Vizcaya.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development said more than P84 million of relief goods composed mainly of food packs and bottled water were distributed in the affected areas.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publicationâ€™s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.