Opposition slams govt for failure to help poor
The opposition on Wednesday slammed the government for what it said everybody except the Palace already knew: Nothing substantial was being done to address poverty as the number of dirt-poor Filipinos remained close to 28 percent or unchanged since the President took power three years ago and despite the administration’s rosy picture of the economy.
But Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman said her department was taking the poverty incidence as a challenge to improve its contribution to the government’s anti-poverty program.
“We would like to assure that the [Social Welfare Department] is doing its best to implement programs and projects that will contribute to the poverty alleviation efforts of the government,” Soliman said.
She cited the government’s conditional cash transfer program or dole to the poor that, she said, had been benefiting 3,8412,992 poor households as of April 3 this year.
She said the government dole would not improve the incidence of poverty soon, but it would benefit the next generation by breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty. With Maricel V. Cruz
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publicationâ€™s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.