7 dead in Semirara mishap; Aquino orders state probe
PRESIDENT Aquino on Thursday ordered the departments of Energy and Local Interior to investigate the accident in a coal site in Caluya, Antique owned by Semirara Mining Corporation that left seven miners dead.
“My understanding is that it was supposed to be a surface mining so why was there a tunnel?” Aquino said.
The President asked Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II and Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla to get updates from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
“We want to find out what caused this accident to happen,” Aquino said.
In a statement, the SCC said that around 11 p.m. on Wednesday, the west wall of the pit collapsed and trapped the 13 miners under it.
The company earlier confirmed that three of the 13 miners had been rescued, and four had died.
Those rescued were identified as Marjun Catoto, Adrian Celmar and Leonardo Sojor.
PNP Region 6 director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz Jr. said
Cruz said three survivors were pulled out immediately after the incident. Two of the survivors sustained minor injuries and were brought to the Semirara Infirmary for treatment, while the other was airlifted to Manila. With Anna Leah Estrada
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.