Advertisement

7k Makati youth gain city summer job slots

Makati Mayor Abby Binay today welcomed 7,091 young Makatizens who have qualified for the Special Program for Employment of Students and Government Internship Program being implemented by the city government this summer.

Binay said the beneficiaries of SPES and GIP, who come from low income families, will have the opportunity to work with pay in various offices of the city government and the barangays.

“The city government of Makati fully supports these joint initiatives with agencies of the national government because they provide beneficiaries the dual advantage of actual work experience with the government and earning an income,” Mayor Abby said.

The mayor said based on the records of the city Public Employment Service Office (PESO), there are 4,638 successful registrants in GIP and 2,381 in SPES this year.

Each SPES beneficiary will earn a total of P15,360 upon completing the required 30 days of work. On the other hand, a GIP beneficiary will receive P9,600 for 25 days of work.

The two programs are annually carried out by the city in partnership with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for SPES, and with the National Youth Commission (NYC) for GIP.

According to Makati PESO, SPES beneficiaries have already started to report for work in their respective places of assignment last April 16, and will work there until May 29. For GIP beneficiaries, work period will be from April 23 until May 29.

Under SPES, the city provides 60 percent of each beneficiary’s salary based on the daily minimum wage, or P317.20, and the remaining 40 percent, or P204.80, is provided by DOLE.

GIP beneficiaries are entitled to receive 75 percent of the daily minimum wage, or P384.

Pre-qualified applicants based on the screening of documentary requirements they submitted were also subjected to a drug test last April 12 for District I residents, and last April 13 for those from District II.

To be eligible to join this year, SPES applicants must be at least 15 years old on or before March 4 this year, but not more than 31 years old by July 30. GIP applicants must be at least 18 years old on or before March 4 this year, but not more than 31 years old by July 30.

Both SPES and GIP applicants must be Makati residents, fit to work, and not currently employed, undergoing on-the-job training, or attending summer classes. Applicants must not also be last year’s beneficiaries of said programs, and of TUPAD (Tulong Panghanapbuhay para sa Ating Disadvantaged Workers), and other livelihood programs.

To qualify for SPES, the combined annual income of the applicant’s parents must not exceed P150,042.

Topics: Abby Binay , Special Program for Employment of Students and Government Internship Program , Public Employment Service Office , Department of Labor and Employment
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement